Why We Love Leanne:
Leanne Shear is the co-founder of Uplift, a progressive fitness studio and female society that offers group classes, personal training and a multitude of events outside of fitness related to career, relationships, finances, and well-being (panels, retreats, workshops) that empower women in all aspects of their lives.
Before conceiving the idea for Uplift, Leanne was a professional writer: she is the author of The Perfect Manhattan and Cocktail Therapy: The Perfect Prescription for Life’s Many Crises, and her writing has also been featured in The Nation, The New York Times, New York, and Glamour, among others. Leanne graduated with honors from the University of Pennsylvania and received a Master’s degree in Women’s Studies and Cultural Politics from New York University.
If you’re in NYC and would love to check out Uplift Studios Leanne is generously offering a complimentary signature class or Strength X small group training session to Wellness Lately listeners. To redeem, email her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell her we sent you!
Subscribe to the Podcast
On the Pod, We Discuss:
- Her different why behind fitness and how being strong physically translates to empowerment in all facets of life.
- Leanne’s career trajectory from professional writer to where she is now.
- Why sometimes the next step is just to take the next step and not be afraid.
- How she shifts her negative thoughts into positive ones.
- Her mixed feelings on Masters Degrees and why she believes there are easier better ways to get out there and do what we want.
- Why taking the baby steps is the best way to start, and why mitigating the noise in your own head is the most important.
- Confidence comes from taking action not from thinking.
- How she built Uplift into something much bigger than a boutique fitness studio.
- Why overcoming limiting beliefs is crucial if you want to succeed in life.
- Uplifts retreats and what’s coming up this year.
- Why making friends as an adult can be so hard and how a place like Uplift or retreats are a great way to make friends and make connections around stuff you’re into.
- What’s on the horizon for Uplift and Leanne.
- Our Summer Solstice Retreat with Uplift Studios!
- Uplift’s Website
- Uplift’s Instagram
- Uplift’s Facebook
- Leanne on Instagram
- Before Happiness: The 5 Hidden Keys to Achieving Success, Spreading Happiness and Sustaining Positive Change by Shawn Achor
- The 5 Second Rule: Transform your Life, Work and Confidence with Everyday Courage by Mel Robbins
- The Perfect Manhattan: A Novel by Leanne Shear and Tracey Toomey
- Cocktail Therapy: The Perfect Prescription for Life’s Many Crises by Leanne Shear and Tracey Toomey
Didja like this episode?
We’d love for you to subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app and leave us a review. The more reviews we get, the more likely our fellow, female humans are to find us and start feeling confident in their own skin.
Subscribe and leave a review here.