Note: The pod is on a short summer break and will return on 9/7! This conversation is a repost of episode #33.
Why We Love Melanie:
Melainie Rogers is a Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian (CEDRD) and Supervisor and is dedicated to supporting others in their quest to achieve long-term recovery. She is the Founder and Executive Director of BALANCE eating disorder treatment center™ and melainie rogers nutrition, llc.
Melainie received her education in Melbourne, Australia where she was born and raised. She obtained her Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry from Melbourne University and completed a Graduate Diploma in Sports Nutrition from Deakin University, Australia. Upon coming to the United States she earned her Masters Degree in Clinical Nutrition at New York University.
Melainie developed her passion for treating clients with eating disorders while working at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Columbia Obesity Research Center in New York City. Her understanding of the research behind obesity gave her a unique perspective on eating behaviors and binge eating disorder specifically. In 2002, Melainie developed the largest private group nutrition practice specializing in eating disorders in New York City. As she saw a need for more services for eating disorders, she established BALANCE eating disorder treatment center™ in 2009.
Melainie Rogers MS, RDN, CDN, CEDRD is a recognized expert on eating disorders. She is a dynamic speaker and educator and is the co-founder and first President of the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (iaedp) New York Chapter and currently resides on the Advisory Board with Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia (CSAB), as well as the Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA).
Subscribe to the Podcast:
On the Pod, We Discuss:
- Melainie’s treatment center: the work her team does and who they help
- How she got into this line of work and the intersection with her own journey in recovering from an eating disorder
- The Redefining Wellness Project and the catalyst for creating it
- The #WakeUpWeightWatchers campaign and what makes dieting behavior so dangerous for children
- Diet culture, the $70 billion weight loss industry, and why there is still a lack of research around genetics, BMI and weight manipulation
- How wellness and self-care have been co-opted by diet culture and how focus has shifted to perfectionism and aesthetics
- How disordered eating can directly cause anxiety and how social media + modern imagery may also have potentially contributed
- What it’s going to require to shift away from mainstream messaging around dieting as the solution and why we’re only at the tip of the iceberg
- Melainie’s initial fear of openly sharing her own eating disorder struggle and how her personal experience has impacted her ability to support people
- Diagnosed eating disorders vs. disordered eating
- The amount of time and mind space dedicated to thinking about food, exercise, diets and calories for people with disordered eating and clinical eating disorders (as opposed to the “average” person with food neutrality)
- Veganism, food morality, orthorexia, and how restrictive diets may not be as balanced in terms of essential nutrition
- How Melainie approached creating the treatment options and support services at BALANCE
- Why health and weight are not dependent upon one another, and the most recent research around BMI used as a health marker
- The common themes among people coming to seek treatment for eating disorders and what’s going on under the surface
- The goal for Redefining Wellness and what we can do to support the mission and spread the anti-diet message
- BALANCE Eating Disorder Treatment Center in New York City
- The free Redefining Wellness eBook: the diet-free guide for teens and families
- The #WakeUpWeightWatchers Twitter campaign
- Melainie’s mentor, Carolyn Costin, MA, MED, MFT
- Follow BALANCE on Instagram and Facebook and Twitter
- Follow Redefining Wellness on Instagram
- Follow Melainie Rogers on Twitter
- Watch our free masterclass to learn 5 Simple Shifts to End Binge Eating
- Join our private Facebook group
- Set up a free Breakthrough Session to see if our coaching program is a good fit for you
- Learn more about Food Freedom Academy, our personalized Intuitive Eating Coaching Program
Didja like this episode?
We’d love for you to subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app and leave us a review. The more reviews we get, the more likely our fellow, female humans are to find us and start feeling confident in their own skin.
Subscribe and leave a review here: