Why We Love Anushcka:
Anuschka Rees is a writer, ex-serial-dieter, former beauty-fanatic and author of the new book Beyond Beautiful: A practical guide to being happy, confident and you in a looks-obsessed world.
Despite growing up in the era of female empowerment and body positivity, she spent much of her twenties trying to fix yet another imagined “flaw,” researching diets, and comparing herself to attractive people on Instagram. Eventually she decided to put her INTJ mind to good use and see if she could find concrete, applicable advice for women like her, whose insecurities are keeping them from living their best life.
Anuschka’s first book The Curated Closet was a bestseller and has been translated into five languages. She lives in Berlin, Germany with her cats, books, and boyfriend.
Subscribe to the Podcast
On the Pod, We Discuss:
- Anuscka’s journey and how she came to writing about body image after previously writing on style
- Body neutrality: what it is, why it’s important, and how it differs from body positivity
- The common myths of body positivity and how the concept in general misses the mark in terms of promoting a healthy body image
- How we can untangle our self-worth from our physical appearance, and how it affects our happiness levels as women
- How we got here in the first place: what’s responsible for everyone’s terrible body image
- The new social protocols we can use to shift away from a culture in which beauty is a magic bullet
- How we can avoid passing poor body image down to the next generation of women
- Body talk, and why our internal (and external) conversation has such a powerful effect on our body image and how to shift it
- How to respond to negative body talk happening around you (instead of just staring back in dead silence)
- How to name your inner voice and why it helps manage your internal negative self talk
- What body neutrality actually looks like, in terms of caring about our physical appearances and using things like skincare or makeup
- And so much more
- Anuschka’s amazing book, Beyond Beautiful
- Follow Beyond Beautiful on Instagram
- Follow Anuschka on Instagram
- Beauty Sick by Renee Engeln, PhD
- Lighten Up, our 90-day program in which we cover Intuitive Eating
Didja like this episode?
We’d love for you to subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app and leave us a review. The more reviews we get, the more likely our fellow, female humans are to find us and start feeling confident in their own skin.
Subscribe and leave a review here.