Why We Love Shiri:
Shiri Sarfati is a beauty and wellness expert as well as licensed esthetician. She is the founder of 23 SKIN, a DIY skin care range focused on spa quality self-care experiences and is an executive at her family-owned professional skincare company, Repechage.
She has been featured in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Beauty Independent and on CNN, CBS and FOX and is a writer for Observer.com and ThriveGlobal.com. She is also the founder of BeautySomething.com, a site focused on educational and inspiring beauty advice and tutorials.
She is a passionate and knowledgeable presenter and has been an invited speaker at esthetics conferences around the world.
Shiri earned a Masters degree in Cosmetic and Fragrance Marketing and Management from The Fashion Institute of Technology. A native New Yorker, she now lives in Miami with her husband and two children. Follow her on Instagram @ShiriSarfati
Subscribe to the Podcast
On the Pod, We Discuss:
- How Shiri started her company out of a need for practical, spa-worthy self-care practices that can be done at home
- Our personal experience using 23 SKIN products
- How working in her family-run natural skincare business affected her own career trajectory
- “Fairy dusting” in beauty industry marketing and what to know about safe ingredients
- How to become a more conscious consumer and what to know about safe ingredients
- Why we won’t be getting vampire facials anytime soon
- How social media adds societal pressure to comply to specific beauty standards
- How we can accept our skin and feel confident despite issues that affect our life experience
- Why stress is a trigger for health issues and how skin care rituals can be stress-relieving
- How to use 23 SKIN products for your own DIY spa treatments
- How self-care can help us reconnect with our own bodies and connect with other people in meaningful ways
- Shiri’s product sourcing process, and why she specifically uses seaweed and matcha clay powder
- How Shiri came landed on the name 23 SKIN
- The concept of “skin types” and what factors might actually matter more for healthy skin
- The roller coaster of skincare and how some types of treatment can end up making skin issues worse
- Exfoliation 101 and the nitty gritty of protecting and replenishing the barrier of the skin
- Why Shiri never recommends cleansing wipes as replacements for regular cleansing
- Plastic surgery and preventative botox: what the current research is saying and what it means in the larger cultural context around beauty and aging
- How to vote with our dollars and support skincare companies that are working to make the industry safer
- What’s on the horizon for Shiri and her company
- And so much more
- Shop Shiri’s amazing products at 23 SKIN and use the code wellnesslately for 10% off
- Our review of 23 SKIN on the blog
- Great recipes for DIY skin care from 23 SKIN
- Follow 23 SKIN on Instagram
- Connect with Shiri on Instagram
- Skin Deep app from EWG (now called Healthy Living)
- Our interview with Anuschka Rees, author of Beyond Beautiful
Didja like this episode?
We’d love for you to subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app and leave us a review. The more reviews we get, the more likely our fellow, female humans are to find us and start feeling confident in their own skin.
Subscribe and leave a review here.