Why We Love Jackie:
Jackie Schoemaker Holmes, PhD is a University of British Columbia-trained Sociologist who specializes in the study and practice of empowerment at both the individual and the community level. Jackie’s work has been published in a variety of venues including peer-reviewed academic publications, edited collections, and leading Canadian newspapers and magazines.
You can now find her writing online via Eating Her Young – a blog and social media platform that seeks to disrupt motherhood, tell motherhood truths, and make space for the diversity of motherhood experiences. She is an ongoing contributor to Filter Free Parents and her work has been featured on the popular parenting sites, Pregnant Chicken and Scary Mommy. Jackie is tremendously passionate about sharing her truths of motherhood so that no mother feels alone. Find the supportive, non-judgmental, and compassionate in-person and online services she provides women and mothers in the community and beyond on her website www.empowermentforresilience.com.
Subscribe to the Podcast
On the Pod, We Discuss:
- Why Jackie began writing about her experience with postpartum depression
- How she felt after giving birth and why it was so startling compared to past anxiety and depressive episodes
- Why we need to address existing assumptions and treat new mothers a lot more mindfully
- How conversations around things like pharmaceutical drugs and breastfeeding, and a lack of honesty about what’s to come can contribute to problematic beliefs
- How impossible expectations for new mothers are internalized and perpetuated
- The discourses that still constrain women and their choices
- The ah-ha moment that led Jackie to start working with other women
- Why healing is incremental and why that’s okay
- What to say to a pregnant woman (and what not to say)
- Practical tips for navigating this chaotic time at home with full lives, work, and kids
- And much more
- Visit Jackie’s website to learn more about her business supporting women and mothers
- Read her blog, Eating Her Young
- Follow Jackie on instagram at @eatingheryoung and @empowermentforresilience
- Join her Facebook group, Mummy Voices
- The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women by Susan Douglas
- Lactivism: How Feminists and Fundamentalists, Hippies and Yuppies, and Physicians and Politicians Made Breastfeeding Big Business and Bad Policy by Courtney Jung
Click here to watch our Food Freedom Master Class to learn the 5-Step Strategy Our Clients Use to Stop Binging, and Finally Feel Good in Their Own Skin
Didja like this episode?
We’d love for you to subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app and leave us a review. The more reviews we get, the more likely our fellow, female humans are to find us and start feeling confident in their own skin.
Subscribe and leave a review here.